Above Water Fishing Light Comparison: Are Spot or Flood Lights Better?
Above Water Green Fishing Lights are becoming more popular for one reason alone: they last a long time on docks and piers with ZERO maintenance. This makes them the light of choice for second homes, rental units, condominiums, investment properties, among many others. There's no argument that above water lights are the only way to have completely maintenance free fishing lights.
What do we mean by maintenance? Well their counterpart (underwater fishing lights) have to be cleaned and maintained regularly to prevent growth from overtaking them (such as barnacles or algae). They also have to be checked to make sure fishing lines haven't snagged a power wire. Once a hook snags the line, it might cause a very small puncture in the line that will slowly corrode and you won't see it until it's fully corroded through. These are just a couple common problems that lead to premature failure.
Above Water Fishing Light Comparison: Flood and Spot Lights
There are two types of above water fishing lights: flood lights and spot lights. We always get asked which one is better - and that's a hard question to answer because the answer to that question depends on the situation. Let's talk through the pro's and con's of each option.
Above Water Green Fishing Flood Lights
The Above Water Green Fishing Flood Light is going to spread an incredible bright, true-green wavelength light that was designed to attract fish. The light is going to spread in a flood pattern, in other words, it goes EVERYWHERE. These lights do a great job at bringing fish up to the water surface, making it more easy to catch fish with topwater or shallow running lures.
Above Water Green Fishing Flood Lights are ultimately the best option for docks or piers that are on open water, or on night fishing boats or even on some portable contraption for fishing at the jetty's. The reason for this is because they broadcast an extremely wide flood and can run on battery or generator.
- Capable of running on battery (12/24V DC) or wall outlet (110/120V AC)
- Incredibly bright flood light, shines over 24,000 lumens.
- Relatively light weight and portable weighing only 6 lbs.
- Compatible with building block power wire harness
- Can purchase Protective Cover separately for when you're gone.
- Brings fish up to the surface, making it easy to catch with topwater or shallow running lures.
- Covers a lot of surface area
- Portable, great for mounting to docks or using on boats.
- MAINTENANCE FREE! Leave it and forget about it!
- If on a canal with neighbors across the water, this light may blind your neighbors and cause unwanted confrontation.
- If running on wall outlet, make sure to keep the driver / power supply mounted in a dry area protected from weather (we recommend mounting under fish cleaning station roof). Driver / power supply not needed if running on battery.
Above Water Green Fishing Spot Lights
The Above Water Green Fishing Spot Light has quickly become one of the top-selling fishing lights we have. It is designed to take over 24,000 lumens and focus the light directly towards the water in a large circle, mimicking the effect of an underwater green fishing light. These lights are ideal because they are completely maintenance free and if you have a neighbor across the canal from you, they won't be blinding them like a flood light would.
Above water green fishing spot light mounted approximately 10-12 ft above the water.
Above water green fishing spot light mounted a couple feet above the water, still outputs a wide beam similar to underwater lights.
The photo above shows how the above water green fishing spot light is completely self-contained, with just an outlet plug coming off the back of the light housing. This means it's super easy to make your own power extensions by simply connecting an extension cord if needed. To weatherproof your extension cord connection, you can use 2" adhesive heatshrink.
The Above Water Green Fishing Spot Lights are ultimately ideal for canal homes that have neighbors across from them or next to them and don't want to blind them. They are also great if used in deep water or if you want to mount the light up high and still have great brightness and light concentration down on the water.
- Capable of running on standard wall outlet (110/120V AC)
- Completely self-contained unit (no external drivers or power supplies) with a 110v outlet plug on it to easily plug into wall outlet or extension cord and make whatever length line you need.
- Great for deeper water (8+ ft deep) where you need an intense beam to shine deep into the water and bring fish up to the surface.
- Ideal for homes on canals or with close neighbors, this light focuses the green light to the water and minimizes excessive flood to the land.
- MAINTENANCE FREE! Leave it and forget about it!
- Spot style pattern means it is less desirable if you want it to cover a large flooded surface area on open waters. This light is more meant to focus the light to the water.
There are honestly not many other real con's to list. I would be reaching if I listed anything else. It's a self-contained unit and outputs a ton of light, which is why it has quickly become one of our top selling products.