As deer season comes to an end and the Super Bowl is right around the corner, make the most of your freezer full of venison with one of our prized recipes.
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 2 lbs ground pork butt
- 1 large onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 2/3 cup dark beer
- Soak casing for 2 hours, then rinse thoroughly by placing end of casing opening over water faucet.
- Mix venison and pork together and put mixture in food grinder.
- Mix all ingredients (seasonings) with ground meat.
- Turn grinder on and hold casing to grinder output, casing will fill with air. Squeeze air out of casing end and tie knot at end of casing.
- Push seasoned meat mixture through and as the casing fills, coil it and keep the casing lubricated with water.
- Tie end of casing off and you have your venison sausage.
- Boil in dark beer or water or grill for ~20-30 minutes.
Don’t want to deal with the casing? Grind and make hamburger patties with this recipe as well. Let us know how you like it!